Museums of Rhodes
The Grand Masters Palace was built below the Acropolis of Ancient Rhodes where originally the Temple of the Sun God stood. In the same place, in the 7th century, there was also a Byzantine Palace, and then in the 14th century the Knights of St John built the palace as the residence of the Grand Master as an administrative center. It was destroyed in 1856 by a large explosion of gunpowder that was hidden in the basement of the of St John Church.
The Grand Masters Palace was then rebuilt according to the original drawings by the Italians in 1940. In 1988 it hosted the summit of the EEC. It occasionally holds exhibitions and major cultural events.
It includes organized exhibitions of 20th century Greek art from nationwide and international talent, innovative artistic inventions in nature, reports on prominent Greek and foreign artists, historical documents/reports and other visual arts of Dodecanesian origin.
Since 1947 following the incorporation of the Dodecanese to Greece it has operated under the supervision of the Academy of Athens as Hydrobiological Institute. Then since 1963 it has worked as a museum, aquarium and a scientific research unit for the Mediterranean.
Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service (HNHS) is the governmental cartographic organization which is responsible for the production and dissemination of updated official nautical charts and publications concerning Hellenic and adjacent waters. In order to meet the needs of the mariners in the area of south-eastern Greece and especially in Dodekanisa Islands the Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service operates a new distribution office of all its products at the refurnished first windmill at Mandraki port in Rhodes Island.
The above office is directly connected with the Headquarters of the Hellenic Navy Hydrographic Service for consecutive updating of all the nautical publications and provisions of information to the mariners. Moreover at the windmill operates a small exhibiting area of historical hydrographic and oceanographic instruments as well as a number of historical photos. A new series of republished historical nautical charts (Dodekanisos – July 1946, NE Hellenic Coast jan. 1939) is provided in a few numbers of copies.
At the same time he founded the Foundation «Rhodes Historical Foundation», a nonprofit organization that was used as a vehicle to promote this goal and started collecting photos, stories and material objects from Rhodians from abroad but also from various other sources from around the world as donations for the continuation of the purpose.
Also created a website to be a resource for people interested in the history of the Jews of Rhodes and those planning to travel to Rhodes. Gradually, the motivation and the economic contribution of the Community and individual donors Museum extended its area tripled and after repairs in 2006 reopened with renovated a number of interesting exhibits.