Local products and local cuisine gives a place an identity. The culinary tourism can bring economical benefits and affect the local economy in many ways. The promotion of local products through the local cuisine will effect positively the tourism destination “Rhodes –Aegean”. The products of the island are unique products with special characteristics.
• Crop Production Products
• Olive oil (Geographical Indications- PGI)
• Edible Olives (Green crushed Rhodian olives, Zupa Olives)
• Vegetables (Watermelon of Rhodes, Melon of Rhodes, Tomato of Rhodes)
• Citrus (Orange of Rhodes, Tangerine of Rhodes, Lemon of Rhodes)
• Aromatic and Medical Plants
• Products of Animal Production
• Honey (Thyme Honey, Pine Tree Honey, Flower Honey, Eryka Honey)
The olive oil of Rhodes is featured as a product of geographical indication. Honey of Rhodes and honey of South Aegean are awarded annually as one of the best in the world and it is significant for Rhodes. A special sweet based on honey is the melekouni (traditional sweet). The melekouni is a healthy dessert and stands out for its great taste and high nutritional value. Ingredients: Honey, natural sesame seeds, almonds, grated orange-bergamot and spices. It’s a traditional treat at the weddings and other social events. There are also the local sweets (almond of Rhodes, xerotigana, diples) and the traditional jam (Orange, Tangerine). The wines of Rhodes and the local varieties of vine are labelled as POP and PGI (products and Geographical Indication of Origin of Superior Quality wines). A special place is held by the sparkling wine of Rhodes. Except for two large companies (Cair-Emery) there are also in Attaviros and prophet Ilias, small wineries that produce local wine.
Additionally, there are products and unique flavors that can be tasted by our visitors while in Rhodes.
1. Rusk’s, Olive Bread, Bread with Anise, Tiganopsomo, Bread with onion, Eptazimo, barley pretzels
2. Cream Cheese, Gruyere of Rhodes, Goat Cheese, Rice Pudding
3. Salted fish
4. Honey, Melekouni, Halva with semolina
5. Pies with greens, fried pies, Tachinopites- Pies with crushed sesame seeds
6. Loukoumi, Almond sweets, Jams, Grape Pudding, Fanouropita (St Fanourios Pie), Vanilla, Mouchalepi, Xerotigana, Takakia, Local Pancakes
7. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
8. Cereals (Pretzels, Tachinosoupa, Trahanas, Tsouvras)
9. Alisfakia, Glyfoni, Sapsycho, sage, Camomile of Rhodes, Mint
10. Greek Coffee
The products of Rhodes may be obtained by our guests both in shops in town and in the villages (Archangelos, Embonas, Apollona, Sianna, and others). Considerable experience is a visit to a traditional bakery and women’s cooperatives, Wineries and distilleries, mainly in the mountainous areas of Rhodes